MMC faculty must have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching within a liberal arts environment.
Marymount Manhattan College is an urban, independent, liberal arts college with an enrollment of approximately 2000 undergraduates, located on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. T
*Note: Positions are generally posted in the Fall of each academic year.
Marymount Manhattan College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Available Full-Time Faculty Positions
The Department of Dance at Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) seeks applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in dance with teaching expertise in ballet to begin September 2023 pending final budget approval. The teaching load for this position is 4/3.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary instructional responsibilities are to teach all levels of ballet technique, particularly beginning and intermediate levels, pointe, and/or men’s class. Demonstrable emphasis on anatomical knowledge informed by contemporary practices is desirable. Additional duties include overseeing implementation of the ballet curriculum at all levels, including acting as the liaison for all co-teachers and adjuncts professors in technique classes, and coordinating with ballet faculty for placement and advisement of students in the ballet courses.
Additional duties include:
- Holding regular office hours for students;
- Mentoring and supervising student research/choreography projects and internships;
- Choreographing/staging work for both the BFA and BA populations;
Participating in department work on
- Curriculum development
- New student recruitment, including participation in recruitment events and auditions;
- Student assessment and academic advisement;
- Learning assessment;
- Attending faculty meetings;
- Serving on faculty and college-wide committees;
- Engaging in scholarly/creative activities;
Additional teaching and administrative assignments may be assigned in consultation with the Chair of the Dance Department, the Chair of the Fine and Performing Arts Division, and/or the VPAA/Dean.
The successful candidate will have an established record of accomplishment as a dance professional and teacher, includinghe ability to stage master works, reconstructions and repertory. They will also have a demonstrated record of commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Preferred candidates will have connections in the dance world that could lead to internship opportunities and community outreach.
Additional qualifications include:
- An MFA or PhD in Dance or related field or equivalent professional experience based on the College’s degree equivalency option. Copies of the degree equivalency policy are available upon request. Undergraduate degree required;
- Experience in one or more of the following areas required: ballet pedagogy in theory and practice, dance history, partnering, world dance forms, dance technology, composition, anatomy, original ballet choreography for performances and possible courses offered to majors/non-majors in the general education curriculum;
- Minimum two years of college-level teaching experience;
- Expertise in ballet practices and career involvement with the dance field on a professional level;
- Expertise and professional experience in dance performance practices;
- Demonstrated record of scholarly research and publication and/or creative work;
- Potential for or past success securing external grants/research funding preferred.
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications and experience relative to the duties and responsibilities outlined above;
- A curriculum vitae;
- Two or three samples of your scholarly/creative work (written or links to videos);
- A one-page personal statement that details how you have worked to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in your previous positions and how you would plan to continue to do so as a member of the dance faculty at MMC.
- Contact information for three references.
All application information should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Marymount Manhattan College
MMC is an independent, private, dynamic liberal arts college on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Faithful to the vision of its founders, the College has a long history of reaching out to diverse populations in need of higher education. The College student body continues to become more diverse as we recruit students from underrepresented groups, including more first generation, LGBTQ, and ethnically diverse students from a national pool. Providing a small college experience in the heart of the city, MMC enrolls approximately 1,400 students with an 12:1 student-teacher ratio. We emphasize community-based and hands-on learning. MMC graduates identify themselves as creative changemakers. At Marymount Manhattan College, we fundamentally believe that creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community is a goal to be fervently pursued and translated into action. We place an importance on culturally competent faculty who demonstrate a commitment to continually working towards greater equity, diversity, and inclusion. For more information about our commitment to diversity, please go to https://www.mmm.edu/offices/presidents-office/diversity-inclusion.
About MMC’s Dance Program
MMC’s dance program offers its students outstanding professional training, a rich liberal arts curriculum, and the opportunity to engage with New York City’s cultural resources as part of their educational experience. The Dance Department enrolls 200 BFA/BA major combined, making it one of the largest departments in the college. The BFA curriculum includes a broad range of dance styles, preparing graduates to perform and/or choreograph in diverse aesthetics from ballet to musical theatre. The BA in Dance has four areas of concentration, Body Science and Motion, Dance and Media, Dance Studies, and Teaching. For more information about our Dance programs: https://www.mmm.edu/departments/dance/
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.