Turnitin.com is a comprehensive teaching tool. Turnit is an Internet-based plagiarism detection service that is conveniently available for members of the MMC Community. An MMC email is a requirement to use this service.
Here are some instructions to facilitate the use of the anti-plagiarism software. If you have an account but forgot your password please visit Turnitin.com and reset your password. If you do not have an account email Mary Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jason Herman at email@example.com they will create an account for you.
Create an Account
- Go to http://www.turnitin.com.
- In the upper right, click on “create user profile.”
- A new screen will come up asking you to create a profile. Choose “instructor.”
- The next screen will ask for the account number and password that establishes that you’re with an institution that has subscribed to turitin.com. Please contact the Library to receive MMC’s account number and password. In addition, the password and account number are for members of the MMC Community only.
- Please email Mary Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jason Herman at email@example.com to receive Marymount Manhattan College’s password and account number.
- A new screen will come up asking for your email address. Type in your Marymount email address, including the @mmm.edu part.
- Type in your password. Turnitin.com requires passwords have at least one letter and one number.
- Choose your preferred “secret question” and answer it so turnitin.com will have an additional way to identify you.
- Put in a class name.
- Create a password for that class.
- Create an assignment to be checked.
- The program will have some additional questions about the assignment, such as the due date.
Submit Your Paper
- Log into your account.
- You should go directly to your list of classes and assignments. Click on “submit” on toolbar above list.
- Start creating a profile for the paper turnitin.com is to check by typing in the first name of the paper author.
- Type in the last name of the paper author.
- Type in the paper title (shortened version is ok).
- Browse for the electronic version of the paper as one would browse for a document to attach.
- Once the paper to be examined is attached, click on “submit.”
It can take turnitin.com anywhere from a few seconds to a day to process the paper. To check the results of turnitin.com’s research:
- Click on the class that you want.
- Click on the inbox to see whether you’ve received mail.
- Click on an individual piece of mail to see the report.