Federal Verification Process (2023-2024)
Verification is a process required by the U.S. Department of Education for selected students. The college is required to obtain and compare information reported on your FAFSA form to your family’s federal tax returns and other documents.
Your federal Student Aid Report (SAR) will indicate if your FAFSA has been selected by the Department of Education for verification. MMC will mail a request letter to the student identifying the required documents needed to complete the verification process. Your financial aid may change as a result of the verification process. Federal aid can not be disbursed to your account until the verification process has been completed. It is essential to complete the verification process in a timely fashion to ensure that financial aid is credited to your student account by the payment due date.
Federal verification for the 2023-2024 academic year requires 2021 federal income tax information.
Document Submission Deadline
Fall Admits: June 1, 2023
Spring Admits: February 1, 2024
What documents are required for federal verification?
1. Submit the Federal Verification Worksheet to our office. Make sure you are submitting the worksheet that corresponds to the correct academic year and your dependency status on the FAFSA.
The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) inside the FAFSA application. If you are unable to use the IRS DRT, please provide our office with a copy of your 2021 IRS Tax Return Transcript (for tax filers).
3. Verify 2021 Wages by submitting copies of all Federal W2s to our office.
4. You may also be asked to verify assets reported on the FAFSA application. If an Asset form is requested, please complete and submit it.
5. If you are selected to complete a Verification of Identity, you must complete and provide the form below.
IRS Tax Return Transcript Request
Return Transcripts can be ordered online, by mail, or by phone.
- Get Transcript ONLINE or by MAIL: Go to www.irs.gov. Select “Get your tax record ”. Select either “Get transcript online” or “Get transcript by mail”. Be sure to request Tax RETURN Transcript. Indicate your home address as the mailing address if you are requesting your transcript be mailed
- Automated Telephone Request: Call 1-800-908-9946 and follow the menu prompts. Indicate your home address as the mailing address. Transcripts generally arrive in 10 business days.
- Paper Request Form: Complete either IRS 4506T-EZ or IRS 4506T. Indicate your home address as the mailing address. Transcripts generally arrive in 10 business days.
Non-tax Filer Requirements
- Independent Students (Student Spouse) and Parents of Dependent Students: Non-tax filers must provide a Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS to fulfill the income verification requirement. Indicate your home address as the mailing address. Transcripts generally arrive in 10 business days.
- Dependent Students: Non-tax filers must indicate on the verification worksheet they were not required to file a tax return and provide supporting W-2s and/or 1099s for any income earned.
How do I submit my documents?
Please click on the link below to use the secure CSS Document Dropbox. Before uploading our documents, make sure the student’s full name and MMC ID are included on the document. Do not fax or email personal documents. This is insecure and puts your personal information at risk.
Or send by mail to:
Marymount Manhattan College
Center for Student Services
221 East 71st Street
New York, NY 10021
Verification of Income for Individuals with Unusual Circumstances
Verification Frequently Asked Questions
If the process is not completed in a timely manner, you will have a large remaining balance with the College. Marymount Manhattan’s policy does not allow students with outstanding tuition bills to register for the following semester.