Completing an internship as part of your undergraduate education is a great way to apply what you have learned in your classes to a real-world setting. It is also an opportunity to begin building a network with professionals and open up your options for employment after college.
Internships have been cited as the number one way for companies/organizations to recruit college graduates. They are also an outstanding career counseling tool and can help students figure out what they want to do and as well what they do not want to do post-college. Students who successfully complete internships are better positioned to find permanent employment in this challenging job market.
- MMC Career Connection
- Idealist.org (non-profit, government, and arts internships)
- Look directly on the websites of companies you would love to work for to see if they have an internship program or opportunities
- Speak with your professors about opportunities
- Read emails sent by your department as they often contain internship and job opportunities
Make an appointment with Career Services to have your resume and/or cover letter reviewed before you begin applying to internships.
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credits at MMC (or 12 MMC credits for transfer students).
- Possess a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Have completed the For-Credit Internship Learning Agreement . This document must be completed by the student and the internship site supervisor before completing the online application. A completed digital copy must be uploaded to the online application.
- Find a full time faculty member at the college to supervise and approve their internship. Faculty will supervise students during their internships and provide them with assignments for this graded course. Students must meet with their faculty member and develop a syllabus prior to submitting an application to receive credit.
- Have completed the CareerLab assignment “Draft Your Informational Interview Questions”. Now located in MMC Engage, please click here to complete the assignment. Students only need to complete this assignment for their first for-credit internship, not each time they complete an internship for-credit.
The internship application process can take up to five (5) business days to complete. It is advised that you start the process as soon as you have secured an internship.
- Complete the Learning Agreement: Once the student is offered an internship, the student must have the Employer complete the first page of the Learning Agreement (located below) and then the student must complete the second page of the Agreement themselves. It is recommended to have this completed before working with a Faculty Member to create a syllabus for the internship.
- Find a Full-Time Faculty Supervisor and Develop a Syllabus: Students must find a Full-Time Faculty member to supervise the internship. Students must meet with the Full-Time Faculty member to develop a syllabus for the internship. Students must upload a digital copy of the syllabus when completing the Online Application to Receive Credit.
- Complete the CareerLab Assignment: The student must complete the CareerLab assignment “Draft Your Informational Interview Questions” via MMC Engage. If you have not done so already, please click here to complete the assignment. Students only need to complete the CareerLab assignment before their first internship for-credit. Students registering for any additional internships for-credit while at MMC do not need to complete this CareerLab assignment again.
- Complete the Online Application to Receive Credit: Once the Learning Agreement, CareerLab Assignment, and Syllabus have been completed, the student must complete the Online Application to Receive Credit for an Internship (located below). The student must upload a digital copy of the Learning Agreement to the Online Application before it can be submitted for approval and registration.
- Schedule an Appointment with Career Services: Using the link on the application confirmation or in the confirmation email, the student must schedule an appointment with the Internship Program Coordinator (Ryan Atwell) to discuss the non-academic requirements and expectations of their internship.
- Career Services Approval: Career Services will review the application and the Learning Agreement and check that the student has completed the CareerLab Assignment. After meeting with the student, Career Services will give their approval. The application is then sent to the Faculty Supervisor.
- Faculty Supervisor Approval: The Faculty Supervisor will review the application and the Learning Agreement and give their approval. The application is then sent to the Division Chair.
- Division Chair Approval: The Division Chair will review the Learning Agreement and Syllabus, and then give their approval. The application is then sent to the Registrar.
- Registration: The Registrar will then register the student for the internship and add it to their schedule.
Please note that January and Summer Session for-credit internships are NOT covered by financial aid or scholarships and are NOT included in regular tuition. There is an additional cost for internships during January and Summer sessions
PLEASE NOTE: You must upload a completed digital copy of the Learning Agreement to the Online Application (below) to start the process to register for a for-credit internship.
Once the application is filled out, the application will be reviewed by Career Services. You will receive an email to make an appointment via MMC CareerConnection with Ryan Atwell to discuss the internship process and protocol. Please use the MMC CareerConnection link in the email to schedule this appointment. You must schedule a meeting in order for your application to be approved and added to your schedule.
Please note that January and Summer Session for-credit internships are NOT covered by financial aid or scholarships and are NOT included in regular tuition. There is an additional cost for internships during January and Summer sessions.
Last Day to Submit an Application to Receive Credit for Summer Session II 2021:
Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Last Day to Submit an Application to Receive Credit for Fall 2021:
Wednesday, September 8, 2021
For assistance, email Ryan Atwell: