Completing an internship as part of your undergraduate education is a great way to apply what you have learned in your classes to a real-world setting. It is also an opportunity to begin building a network with professionals, add experience to your resume, and open up your options for employment after college. Internships have been cited as the number one way for companies/organizations to recruit college graduates. Internships can also help students figure out what they want to do and as well what they do not want to do post-college. Students who successfully complete internships are better positioned to find permanent employment in this challenging job market.
The College has two academic internship programs: Off-Campus Internships and On-Campus Internships.
Marymount Manhattan’s External Internship Program allows students to earn academic credit for their internship at an external company or organization. Students can apply to receive credit for their external internships during the Fall, January, Spring, and Summer semesters. The information below provides resources for finding internships as well as the eligibility requirements to receive credit, the requirements of the Online Application, how to access the Online Application, and an outline of the application process. Students may receive credit for paid or unpaid internships.
How to Receive Credit
Students wishing to receive credit for their off-campus internship must meet all of the following requirements in order to submit an application to receive credit:
- Have completed a minimum of 24 credits at MMC (or 12 credits at MMC for transfer students).
- Possess a GPA of 2.0 or above.
Please Note: Students completing Paid Internships can apply to receive credit for their off-campus internship.
Students wishing to receive credit for their off-campus internship must complete the Online Application to Receive Credit for an Internship. This application requires students to have the following:
A Completed For-Credit Internship Learning Agreement: This document must be completed by the student and the internship site supervisor before completing the online application. A completed digital copy must be uploaded to the online application. This form is a fillable PDF that can be completed electronically by the Site Supervisor and the Student. This is NOT the application to receive credit.
Click Here to Download the Learning Agreement
PLEASE NOTE: This form is NOT the application to receive credit.
- A Syllabus made with a Full-Time Faculty Member: A Full-Time Faculty will supervise students during their internships and provide them with assignments for this graded course. Students must meet with their faculty member and develop a syllabus prior to submitting an application to receive credit. A digital copy of the syllabus must be uploaded to the online application to receive credit.
- A Copy or Screenshot of the Internship Offer Letter/Email: Students must upload a copy of the offer letter or email they received for the internship. This copy/screenshot should include the name of the Site Supervisor, their Supervisor’s Email or Phone Number, and the Start and End Date of the Internship. If the offer does not include this information, the student should ask for a formal offer that includes these items. If the offer is sent from an employee other than the Site Supervisor (like an HR Representative) at the company/organization, the student should ask this person to include the name of the Site Supervisor and their contact information in the offer letter/email.
ONLINE APPLCATION TO RECEIVE CREDIT
Click on the blue button below to complete the application to receive credit for your Off-Campus Internship. Once the application is filled out, the application will be reviewed by the Office of Career and Professional Development. Upon completion of the application you will be prompted to make an appointment via MMC Career Connection with Ryan Atwell to discuss the internship process and protocol. You must schedule a meeting in order for your application to be approved and added to your schedule.
The deadline to receive credit for the Fall 2023 semester has passed. Please check back later in the semester for information about January 2024 and Spring 2024.
- Summer Session 1 2023*: The deadline to receive credit for Summer Session 1 has passed.
- Summer Session 2 2023*: The deadline to receive credit for Summer Session 2 has passed.
- Fall 2023: The deadline to receive credit for Fall 2023 has passed.
*Please note that January and Summer Session for-credit internships are NOT covered by financial aid or scholarships and are NOT included in regular tuition. There is an additional cost for internships during January and Summer sessions. The current rate is $965 per credit for January and Summer sessions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact
Ryan Atwell at email@example.com.
On-Campus Internships provide educational and experiential opportunities for students to receive hands-on, pre-professional experiences supporting a variety of projects and initiatives in both academic and non-academic divisions and departments across the College. These 1-credit internships provide a valuable tool for students early in their academic careers to build both technical and interpersonal skills in order to prepare them to pursue external internships and job opportunities both during and after college. In addition to learning valuable skillsets from across the range of professional work done within a higher education context, these on-campus internships allow students to make an impact on the College community and to find their unique place at MMC.