- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25407_Theatre_Top_Header_5_21st_Century_Noel_at_Lincoln_Center.rev.1616527794.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Theatre Arts Major</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25407_Theatre_Top_Header_5_21st_Century_Noel_at_Lincoln_Center.jpg" class="hero__about" title="21st Century Noel at Lincoln Center" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="<em>21st Century Noel at Lincoln Center</em>"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25603_Stage_Management_3.rev.1618339121.png)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Theatre Arts Major</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25604_Library_Reading_Stacks.rev.1618339377.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Theatre Arts Major</h1></div></div>
The B.A. in Theatre Arts major, with its four concentrations, offers students an opportunity to study with New York theatre professionals, to work on main stage productions, establish professional contacts, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theaters and professional organizations.
Why Study Theatre Arts at MMC?
MMC is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. We combine professional theatre education and training with the liberal arts, teaching our students how to create compelling, informed, imaginative, and innovative theatre. Our students are exposed to great theatre — on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theatres — and they take advantage of the best of New York City’s internship opportunities. Since Marymount Manhattan is an undergraduate college, students do not compete with graduate students for design, directing, stage management, acting, dramaturgy, and playwriting opportunities.
What You Will Learn
Upon completing the theatre arts major, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehension of achievements in drama and theatrical production across a range of periods and cultures;
- Demonstrate comprehension of the interdisciplinarity of theatre study and the collaborative nature of theatre production;
- Demonstrate writing, oral communication, research, performance, and technical skills as foundations for building specific expertise in selected areas of concentration;
- Draw on external resources for further study and work experience by utilizing museums, theatres, performing arts organizations, libraries, and other institutions in New York City and abroad.
Theatre History and Performance Texts
Theatre and New Media
Writing for the Stage
I moved to New York wanting to be an actor. MMC helped me realize that there were other careers in the theater. If not for the flexibility of MMC’s liberal arts programs, I would not have been able to make the transition from in front of to behind the curtain so easily or fruitfully.Aaron Glick
Class of 2006, B.A. in Theatre Arts
Winner, Tony Award for Best Revival of a Play for The Boys in the Band
The Theatre Department was incredibly helpful in guiding me through my college years and beyond. The unique curriculum allowed me to explore a variety of disciplines within theatre and ultimately showed me that there were lots of opportunities that I didn’t even know existed.Joe Maybloom ’16
MMC allowed me to become a well-rounded theater artist. I was able to take courses in every aspect of theater, plus the liberal arts, and without that, I would not be running two theater companies today. The skills I learned at MMC have given me the confidence that’s necessary to succeed in theatre.Leigh Berenis ’13
2013, Major in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Directing
Executive Director, Saratoga Children’s Theatre and Spa City Theatre
The Theatre Program at MMC fostered the development of strong artistic relationships with fellow writers, directors, actors, and producers who have become true collaborators and the cornerstone of my artistic community in NYC beyond graduation.Monet Hurst-Mendoza ’09
Top College Program
Each year, the team at OnStage Blog announces the best performing arts schools for the coming year based on research by theatre educators, students, alumni, and parents—the people who really know what’s important in theatre education. MMC made the cut and was praised for our impressive master classes and lectures.