- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25631_Studio_Recording_Trio.rev.1618418592.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25633_Sound_Recording_1.rev.1618418796.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25605_Recording_studio.rev.1618339707.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Sound Design concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Sound Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to create and mix soundscapes for plays and working with professional sound designers learn to mix and run sound for musicals.
- You will learn to work with the latest digital software and to plan and use the equipment needed to provide sound for a live production. For example, you will have the opportunity to design the sound for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre and similar work designing for our other venues.
- Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn aural and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
Marymount’s exemplary education in international business, marketing, and business organizations set me up for success in my current role.Michelle Rivera-Correa ’17
Class of 2017, Double major in Business with concentration in Leadership and Theater Arts with a concentration in Production Management.
I cannot imagine a better start in this industry anywhere else, and I’m excited to see what doors will open for me as soon as I complete my internship at FOX5.Steven Lu ’20
Marymount has given me the opportunity to combine my interest in Business Management with my favorite magazine, to create the perfect internship.Kylie Whitehouse ’18
Class of 2018, B.A. in Business with a concentration in Social Entrepreneurship and a minor in Economics
The Philosophy and Religious Studies major taught me how to think critically and helped me develop reasoning skills which I use daily working in television. I find that the skills taught are easily transferable to a variety of careers. Further, the faculty were very supportive and instrumental in guiding me towards career development and growth as an individual during my time at Marymount.Kenan Hunter ’18
Class of 2018, Double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies and Digital Media and Video Production
I interned for Us Weekly, Christie’s Auction House, Times Square Alliance, and Seventeen Magazine. I’ve used my design skills in every position I’ve had. I’m glad I get to utilize my design passion and that I’ve been able to evolve with the ever-changing digital landscape.Lacey Budd ’11
Class of 2011, Graphic Design Concentration
MMC’s New York City
The center of theatre in the United States, NYC is an amazing city in which to find your artistic voice. The College is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. Our students are exposed to great theatre – on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theaters. Performance research and study is available throughout the city. Internships. Apprenticeships. Emerging media. This city is your campus.