- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25597_Theatre_Design_1.rev.1618337226.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Scenic Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25595_Scenic_Design1.rev.1618337225.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Scenic Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25593_Scenic_Design_5.rev.1618337225.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Scenic Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Scenic Design Concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Scenic Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies. Get ready for a career in the entertainment industry or for graduate school applications by preparing a professional portfolio.
What You Will Learn
- You’ll become fluent in the art of visual storytelling by developing your drawing and painting skills.
- You’ll learn digital software to create designs that can be shared with directors and other members of the production team.
- You’ll have the opportunity to design the sets for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre. Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn visual and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
The Theresa Lang Theatre
No matter your major or concentration, Theatre Arts students have the opportunity to learn, design, work, and perform in the College’s 250-seat theatre. From our intimate J. William Bordeau Box Theatre to the Great Hall, MMC has a range of performance spaces serving the Theatre Arts program.