- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25531_DSC_6219_2.rev.1617813412.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Public Health Minor</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/35/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/2909_img_7274.rev.1453901766.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Public Health Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/35/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/2909_img_7274.jpg" class="hero__about" title="The Dow Zanghi Student Health Center, located within the 55th Street Residence Hall, provides services to all MMC students." data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="The Dow Zanghi Student Health Center, located within the 55th Street Residence Hall, provides services to all MMC students."><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/108/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/26800_Biochemistry_3.rev.1666922981.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Public Health Minor</h1></div></div>
We are living through historic times. The Covid-19 pandemic has taught us that public health policies and communication are vital in keeping us safe and healthy. The pandemic has also exposed the underlying inequities in our public health system. You can help combat those inequities. Join a field poised for growth where you can make an impact in the lives of individuals and communities at home and across the globe.
Why Study Public Health at MMC?
Study public health in the city that established the very first public agency for health over 150 years ago. New York City is the epicenter of the history of public health—not to mention the foundation for the social justice movement—and is leading its future. You’ll learn how this interdisciplinary field draws from science, medicine, history, psychology, sociology, and politics to keep the public safe and healthy and move us into the future. Your courses will get you excited to take personal responsibility for your own health, advance health equity, and promote community health. You’ll study and pursue internships at some of the most dynamic and impactful organizations in the field.
We all know now that a strong public health infrastructure is critical for a healthy society. You can explore this important field as we navigate a post-pandemic future.
What You Will Learn
- Explain the multiple determinants of human health and well-being from a multidisciplinary perspective. Explore how many different aspects of our lives impact our health ranging from our biology to where we live.
- Analyze factors affecting population health including gender, race, ethnicity, social class, and age. Explore how social determinants of health are the driving forces behind most health outcomes and how our behavior and choices impact our health.
- Describe risk factors and modes of transmission for infectious and chronic diseases and how these diseases affect both personal and population health.
- Learn what puts us at risk for new emerging illness like Covid-19 as well as chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer and they impact us on a community level.
At MMC, yy understanding of the public health system broadened as I realized the health care system is beyond researching infectious disease; it directly relates to the mental and physical health of communities and individuals. The minor pairs with my psychology major because I can explore and understand the multiple ways in which an individual’s health can be affected and ways to promote health and improvement.Sierra Rasheed ’22
Class of 2022
Psychology Major, Public Health Minor
Take a Tour of the Natural Sciences Department
Current students Elizabeth Scott ’21 and Jade Johnsamson ’22 take you on a virtual tour of the labs and classrooms that make up the Natural Sciences Department. See why our facilities and small class sizes give you the kind of practical lab experience you want.