- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/177/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/15292_img_2779.rev.1669518670.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Political Science Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/177/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/15292_img_2779.jpg" class="hero__about" title="MMC environmental activists at the People’s Climate March on April 29, 2017" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="MMC environmental activists at the People’s Climate March on April 29, 2017"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/177/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/17738_IMG_0687.rev.1669518705.JPG)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Political Science Minor</h1></div></div>
The study of policy and politics can complement almost any field. Political Science minors are asked the questions: What is control, and who has it? How do cultural systems reveal power and its abuse? Why advocate for civil rights and the environment? Are you curious for the answers?
Political Science is the study of government and politics. It is concerned with the control, use, and abuse of power in institutions, public policy, and social and cultural systems.
Why Study Political Science at MMC?
The Political Science curriculum at MMC focuses on political theory; American political institutions, processes, and behaviors; and comparative politics. By promoting these areas of inquiry, our faculty make a significant contribution to the major program in Politics and Human Rights. In addition, the minor in Political Science provides an excellent supplement to academic work in other areas, particularly for students considering careers in government/politics, criminal justice, law, public policy, civil service, teaching, or business.
Political Science minors have opportunities to:
- Intern with and conduct research for philanthropic, news, or arts organizations
- Help plan city budgets or elect local or national politicians
- Explore vital community and cultural issues and institutions
- Participate in combined courses with students in MMC’s Bedford Hills College Program(opens in a new tab) for incarcerated women
- Gain experience working with international organizations and companies
- Experience study abroad(opens in a new tab) and faculty-led travel courses, and much more!
The Sojourner Truth Suffrage Academy
Designed to give students the opportunity to explore the history of enfranchisement in the United States and beyond, the Academy offers connection- and immersion-level courses, from American History classes to Black Female Sexuality in Film, Photography and Social Engagement, and The Social Psychology of Dress, among others. The Academy also offers a robust speaker series and collaborates with MMC’s renowned Prison Education programs.