- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/188/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/14280_scale.rev.1479419329.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Law and Ethics Minor</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/188/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/14280_scale.jpg" class="hero__about" title="scales" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="scales"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
Knowledge of law is a gateway to prosperous, fulfilling careers in the justice system, government, business, public policy institutes, think tanks, and many other areas. A prime location in New York City and our interdisciplinary curricular resources provide students with strong preparation for law school.
Why Study Law and Ethics at MMC?
In MMC’s Law and Ethics minor, action is as important as understanding. You’ll study the governmental and cultural forces that shape our lives so that you can effectively advocate for change and justice within them. Internships, independent study, advocacy projects, and hands-on research methodologies embed the Law and Ethics community and curriculum in an urban, global learning experience.
What You Will Learn
Students who complete the Law and Ethics Minor will be able to:
- Explain and apply basic concepts and distinctions in law.
- Reconstruct and analyze formal arguments.
- Create and evaluate arguments in written and oral forms.
- Explain and analyze the structure and principles of the American political and legal system.
- Explain, apply, and critically evaluate the use of ethical principles in the law.
- Conduct qualitative and empirical research on legal issues.
MMC’s professors provided me with unconditional motivation and support, the department gave me opportunities that many do not have access to in grad school let alone undergrad, and the variety of classes in the field helped me to form my career path and goals.Dominique Cagliuso ’20
The Sojourner Truth Suffrage Academy
Designed to give students the opportunity to explore the history of enfranchisement in the United States and beyond, the Academy offers connection- and immersion-level courses, from American History classes to Black Female Sexuality in Film, Photography and Social Engagement, and The Social Psychology of Dress, among others. The Academy also offers a robust speaker series and collaborates with MMC’s renowned Prison Education programs.