- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/96/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/26669_Dance_Studies_DCSJ_Webpage_Banner.rev.1651794015.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Dance Studies Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/96/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/26473_Dance_Studies_DCSJ_Webpage_Banner.rev.1651794015.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Dance Studies Concentration</h1></div></div>
Dance Studies focuses on the intersections of Dance, Community, and Social Justice. Do you see yourself as an artist and activist? Are you interested in dance as a practice that builds community and engages in political action and social justice movements? The Dance Studies concentration provides you with the tools for an interdisciplinary, theoretical, and embodied investigation into dance and choreography as social, historical, cultural, economic, political, and artistic practices.
Why Dance Studies at MMC?
Use movement as the medium for change. The Dance Studies concentration will provide you with a critical understanding of theoretical and embodied approaches in critical race theory, environmental studies, gender, and queer studies, politics and human rights, philosophy, performance studies, and communication arts. Dance Studies at MMC can be customized based on your interests and in relation to your enrollment in other majors and minors at MMC. Dance Studies empowers you to develop a critical understanding and engaged practices of dance, embodiment, and choreography as driving forces for the betterment of society.
What You Will Learn
- You will examine and discuss the relationship between dance and political, social, and cultural developments in a variety of national and international contexts.
- You will draw correlations between dance and other structures in society in order to critically engage the impact of historical developments on dance and ways they are reflected in the art form.
- You will explore and develop approaches to community dance projects, actively engaging with social justice initiatives to instigate change in diverse contexts.
Dancing at Distancing
With the reopening of MMC’s Main Campus during the Fall 2020 semester, the Department of Dance was challenged with continuing instruction in a discipline characterized by live performance. Following the Virtual/Open Campus model of education, dance instruction persevered via the addition of new equipment, implementation of health and safety protocols, and the determination of MMC students and faculty.