- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/96/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/24795_190508_mmc_0197.rev.1618436305.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Dance and Media Concentration</h1></div><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/96/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/24795_190508_mmc_0197.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Choreography by: Jessica Lang Photo by: Rosalie O’Connor" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="<em>Choreography by: Jessica Lang<br /> Photo by: Rosalie O’Connor</em>"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/96/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25644_Modern_Hero_Image.rev.1618439408.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Dance and Media Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/96/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/24370_hug-2.rev.1618436247.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Dance and Media Concentration</h1></div></div>
Do you love videography, photography, journalism, sound, or graphic design? Can you picture yourself collaborating artistically on dance and theater works, or creating for advertising, marketing, or entrepreneurial projects? The Dance and Media concentration offers multiple paths to work in artistic, scholarly, archival, and arts administration/marketing fields.
Why Study Dance and Media at MMC?
Master the latest audio and visual media technologies from industry professionals working in live, recorded, and web-based environments. Explore internship opportunities in performing arts spaces, print and online publications, recording studios, and events/marketing companies. Acquire the skills of photographers, videographers, writers, sound designers, programmers, performers, graphic designers, and digital media artists on projects within and beyond the program. Learn sophisticated and specialized technology and software packages at work and in school. Our alumni have pursued graduate work in theory and practice of new technologies and have parlayed their media skills, honed in MMC’s production-rich environment, into opportunities in related professional opportunities such as stage management and institutional leadership and development.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to write and speak knowledgably about the use of visual and audio media in conjunction with movement and dance in performance contexts and in the marketing and development of the dance field, applying perspective and context to contemporary practices.
- You will employ intermediate-to-advanced level skills in a particular area of technology, production, or image-making and develop a portfolio of work that prepares you for post-graduate activity.
- You will collaborate with other dance professionals, bringing your media skills to impactful projects in performance/production, documentation/archival work, arts administration, or arts advocacy.
Dancing at a Distance
With the reopening of MMC’s Main Campus during the Fall 2020 semester, the Department of Dance was challenged with continuing instruction in a discipline characterized by live performance. Following the Virtual/Open Campus model of education, dance instruction persevered via the addition of new equipment, implementation of health and safety protocols, and the determination of MMC students and faculty.