- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/28456_25481_Art_Classroom.rev.1670008527.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Studio Practices Minor</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
The Studio Practices minor lets you engage in hands-on art practice as you pursue the major of your choice. The minor offers a set of foundational courses and then allows you to pick and choose from an array of courses in a variety of media and techniques.
Why Minor in Studio Practices at MMC?
With robust course offerings and a dedicated faculty in the visual arts, MMC is the place to hone your skills in the studio. You will join a community of artists and students across the college who bring their passions and interests to intersect with yours. Whether it is in an Introduction to Drawing class, a more advanced Figure Drawing class, or a Special Topics class like “Painting Now!” you’ll see your technique evolve and your imagination soar. Join our annual Junior and Art Minor exhibition and exhibit your work in the Hewitt Gallery of Art. Use the skills you acquire to enrich your college experience and apply them to creative problem-solving in the workplace.
What You Will Learn
- You will acquire a foundation in the visual language of art-making.
- You will demonstrate a basic knowledge of technical skills in a variety of studio practices including drawing, painting, and design.
- You will engage as informed observers and active participants in the visual arts.
- You will be able to explore advanced studio practices such as printmaking, watercolor, artist books, silkscreen, mixed media, and installation.
I feel pretty lucky that I am still doing today what I pursued when I was 18! In college, I had numerous internships assisting artists, working at printing studios, and even photographing for an online clothing company. After college, I worked at a portrait studio in Manhattan’s Upper East Side before relocating to the West Coast.Lindsay Kreighbaum ’12
My Studio Art Minor has helped me tremendously to excel in my professional and personal development. I am able to utilize the skills taught in my studio art courses to effectively present information in my current position as Brand Ambassador at Cartier.Molly Power ’20
Class of 2020, Major in Business with a Fashion Marketing concentration; Minor in Studio Art
Judith Mara Carson Center for Visual Arts
The Judith Mara Carson Center for Visual Arts promises to be both stunningly beautiful and highly versatile, featuring a soaring multipurpose space, a digital lab, an immersive wrap-around gallery, light-filled studio spaces for 2D and 3D works, and more. A dedicated art history classroom and an expansive seminar room, plus flexible spaces for teaching, learning, exhibitions, and events, will promote the melding of creative and critical practice—a hallmark of an MMC education.