Strategic Planning for AY2018 – AY2022
September 30, 2016
This year, as Marymount Manhattan College (MMC) celebrates 80 years of educational excellence, the campus community is coming together to develop the next Institutional Strategic Plan, which will propel MMC into the next decade.
The new plan, which will be developed through a transparent, inclusive, and dynamic planning process, will set priorities and guide decisions for the College over the period beginning July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2021, or four academic years. Building on the Strategic Plan for 2013 – 2017, the new plan will be squarely focused on advancing the College mission—to foster intellectual achievement and personal growth, provide opportunities for career development, and promote participation in and improvement of society.
Strategic Planning Steering Committee Membership
A Strategic Planning Steering Committee (SPSC) has been established to lead the strategic planning process and develop the Institutional Strategic Plan. The SPSC consists of the following faculty and staff members, one of whom is the elected Faculty Council President and three of whom were elected by the Faculty Council specifically to serve on the committee (as noted):
- Katie LeBesco, Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs/Dean of the Faculty (Co-Chair)
- Jill Stevenson, Associate Professor of Theatre Arts and President of the Faculty Council (Co-Chair)
- Ann Aguanno, Professor of Biology (elected)
- Jennifer Brown, Associate Professor of English and World Literatures and Chair of the English and World Literatures Department (elected)
- Christine Gregory, Assistant Vice President for Strategic Initiatives, Diversity, and Title IX
- Andreas Hernandez, Assistant Professor and Chair, Department of International Studies
- Ann Jablon, Professor and Chair, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Carol Jackson, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Nancy Lushington, Assistant Professor of Dance (elected)
- Richard Sheldon, Assistant Vice President for Academic Administration
- Erica Stein, Assistant Professor of Communication and Media Arts
- Diana Zambrotta, Director of Auxiliary and Real Estate Services
- Alexis Garcia ’18, Student
- Taylor Harris-Butler ’18, Student
The complete Charge to the Committee is available here. In brief, President Walk has charged the committee to develop an Institutional Strategic Plan that focuses on the following:The Strategic Planning Steering Committee was convened on September 21, 2016, at which time President Kerry Walk gave the committee its charge.
- Highly differentiates the academic program and co-curriculum in alignment with a competitive and complex higher education landscape to foster both educational excellence and financial sustainability.
- Significantly enhances the student experience along all axes to ensure optimal conditions for student learning and success.
- Establishes a long-term Strategic Enrollment Plan (SEP), developed in consultation with Ruffalo Noel Levitz (RNL), to promote long-term enrollment and fiscal health.
- Maximizes the value of MMC’s human resources and advances the College’s stated commitment to diversity and inclusion in order to strengthen and sustain the campus community.
- Establishes mechanisms for continuous strategic planning and institutional effectiveneness.
The following timeline was developed by the Co-Chairs of the Strategic Planning Steering Committee to guide the committee’s, and the MMC community’s, efforts:
Preparation: September 2016 — Completed
- Elect and appoint committee members.
- Receive and review Charge from President Walk.
- Share charge and timeline with MMC community.
- Form campus working groups, chaired by members of the Strategic Planning Steering Committee, to research topics related to Charge.
Research: October – Early November 2016
- Guide MMC community conversations and collect input on topics.
- Campus working groups synthesize research findings and identify emerging priorities.
Synthesis and Recommendations: November – December 2016
- Share findings and emerging priorities with the MMC community and collect feedback.
- Develop a list of key recommendations aimed at fulfilling the Charge.
- Circulate the Recommendations Document to the campus community for feedback.
- Synthesize feedback and outline a process for transitioning from the Recommendations Document to a Strategic Plan Draft.
Crafting the Strategic Plan Draft: January – March 2017
Develop a draft of the Strategic Plan, circulate it widely, and hold community forums to gather feedback. A few key dates for discussion of the draft are:
- Monday, March 13: Faculty Council meeting
- Tuesday, March 14: Cabinet meeting
- Wednesday, March 15: Staff Town Hall meetings (9:30-10:30 and 11:00am-12:00pm)
Finalizing and Approving the Strategic Plan: April – May 2017
- Revise the Strategic Plan Draft based on community feedback.
- Circulate Strategic Plan Revised Draft to the MMC community via email and other platforms before Spring Break (no later than Friday, April 7).
- Develop a Strategic Plan Final Draft for consideration by College governance bodies on the following dates:
- Monday, April 17: Faculty Council discusses and votes on the final draft. If approved …
- Tuesday, April 18: The President, in consultation with the Cabinet, reviews the Faculty Council-approved final draft and deliberates. If approved …
- Late April: The President forwards the final draft to the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees for consideration. If approved …
- Tuesday, May 9: The Executive Committee of the Board presents the final draft to the full Board at its Annual Meeting. If the Resolution for approval is passed …
- July 1, 2017: The Institutional Strategic Plan for AY18 – AY22 goes into effect.